Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Getting There



So the new-to-me Leclerc Medico with the floor stand is getting closer to ready.

I spent a good portion of the weekend working on it.

I sanded the heddle bars & the shaft frames with a sander to remove where the coating was bubbling.  I went with a small electric hand sander & even that took a while.  Need new sandpaper for it!  Ran through 5 pads of it. 

I soaked any parts I could with Metal Rescue.  It is hard to gauge.  It says 2 hours for light rust, 8 for medium & 18-24+ for heavy.  It warns that if you soak longer, it may turn things black.  I think that happened with some pieces.  But for the most part, I am not too worried about any discoloration so long as it doesn't rub off on any threads or fabric. 

I read a suggestion about using a rust retardant.  I went Dry Coat which is by the same people as Metal Rescue.  I think I should have gone with the Silcone spray that someone recommend on the Ravelry Warped Weavers thread I posted about the Medico.  The Dry Coat says "will not leave sticky or tacky residue" but I did find that you can feel something on the pieces after you use it.  So I did use a paper towel on the piece that might be better a bit slicker.  Live & learn!

I used the Metal Rescue Gel on the reeds.  I know others have had luck with just soaking the reeds in the regular Metal Restore.  But it really looks like the top & bottom are actually wrapped & glued string or something.  And didn't want to risk the whole thing coming apart.  I used a foam brush to get the gel in between the dents.  Then I wrapped the reeds in plastic wrap as it says to keep the parts wet for the time they are sitting.

I saturated them pretty well.  Let them soak for about 14 hours for the 6 dent that had already had a round of cleaning with the Naval Jelly.  The 12 dent that I hasn't touched sat 24 hours before I worked on that one.  The regular Metal Rescue says it can be rinsed.  The gel said to wipe off.  But I found I couldn't get the bits off between the dents.  So I rinsed it.  I may regret that if the dent rusts up.  But I think I would regret it more if it didn't come off & left residue on the dents.

I took a paper towel & a plastic brush to push the paper towel down into the dents.  I rubbed it & as you can see, it got some black off of it which is good.


Overall, I think the reeds look a whole lot better.  So I am pleased with it.  I don't think they are really rust resistant.  But I think they are good for a while at least.  If I get some silicone spray, I may use that.  But I don't think the Dry Coat is wise as it doesn't feel completely smooth.

For the wood, I used Howard's Restor-A-Finish.  I don't recall where I found this suggestion.  But I think it was a good one.  There were some rough spots on the loom.  Not even counting the paint which I can't figure out how to remove... *sigh*

The Howard's Restor-A-Finish says it will fill in areas & have it so that the scraps don't show.  It did smooth things out overall.  But I couldn't get rid of some spots on the top castle piece (hoping that is the correct term...)  But there is definitely a burn mark.  I sanded out some of that with some fine steel wool.   But I didn't want to do it too much & harm the wood. 

 

You can see there are dark patches as well.  I am not sure what that is about.  There was already some unevenness in color and surface there.  So I suspect the previous owner had put things on top of the loom that affected the surface.  Not sure what. 

I used the Howard Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner.  It has beeswax & orange oil.  So it gave it a nice soft touch.  And I think the wood really needed some good conditioner for it.  It was so thick that I couldn't squeeze it out of the bottle.  I took the lid off and put it on a rag.  That seems to have worked well.

Overall, I think it looks really good.

 

By end of the weekend, I had one of the metal frames to pull out of the Metal Rescue & two more to soak. 

Monday, I worked on wiping down just shy of 400 heddles.  I decided to give them a soak in the Metal Rescue as well.  I tried a vinegar soak.  It was okay.  But I think since I have the Metal Rescue, it is worth soaking them in that.  And I think it did a better job overall.

I can only soak one shaft frame at a time.  The bin I used is big as it had to be for the frames.  I couldn't stack them & have them deep enough in the fluid.  If I had to do it again, I might try the gel on them instead.  But that requires wrapping them up.  So it is kinda a toss-up.

The last frame is soaking. So I should be able to get it wiped & coated with the Dry Coat this evening.  Hooray!

I ordered some parts from Camilla Valley Farms.  They were awesome.  Shipped them the same day I ordered them. 

They were scheduled on the 3rd.  You will note today is the 17th.  Someone in the US decided that I didn't live at JFK where they arrived AND SENT IT BACK TO CANADA!!  *headdesk*

I only replace parts I ordered are a new brake spring & circle.  I think after all the work that the rest of the pieces are in good shape. 

I also ordered a new raddle & lease sticks since this loom is wider.  Though it cracks me up that I had ordered a 22" raddle when I thought my Schacht loom was a wider weaving length.  I cut it to be shorter!  *laugh*

I added up all the costs.  It ran about $145 for all the restoring stuff.  There are a bunch of odds & ends in that cost.  Like Gaffer Tape to replace the stuff I took off when cleaning the reeds.  If I had to do again, I wouldn't bother the Naval Jelly which was $7 or the vinegar which I didn't count since I had a gallon jug anyhow for cleaning the coffee pot! 

So that does push the total cost of the loom up.  But even with all in cost, I think it is still a great price for a 22" floor loom.  And as someone on the Warped Weaver list pointed out, it really will feel all the more mine for having spent the time & energy to get it back to good shape!

So with any luck, I will get the Medico warped soon...  *fingers crossed* 

Of course, I am debating what it going on it first.  I was thinking the pillows from the Craftsy loom course.  I bought all the materials when I thought the Schacht could weave 18".  But I also have a houndstooth scarf weaving kit from Spunky Eclectic that I got recently.  The main debate being something a bit more simple to start or a longer warp with multiple patterns.  Honestly, it may break down to seeing which is more threads & a longer warp.  So we shall see.

But getting close...

Hooray!

I think she may already have a name.  But I need to work with her out before I can name her.  And yes, it is a her.  It is funny.  All my big fiber equipment gets names.  And they have all been female.  My Babe is Door from Neverwhere.  My Ladybug is Rue from The Parasol Protectorate.  The Schacht table is Beryl, Mrs. Patmore's first name from Downton Abbey.  Though I think the loom may get renamed at some point.  I am not sure about the name... 

No comments: