Wednesday, October 10, 2018

So...I'm a Bit Crazy...


So...  I am a bit crazy...  *grin*

I have had my Schacht table loom a little over a year.  Got it last March. 

So what did I do?  I bought another new-to-me loom!

This is a floor loom vs. the table loom I already have.  Which means it is a bit like spindle vs. wheel spinning, it is faster.  Not that much faster.  But definitely faster.  But it is still in pieces all over the house.  Bought it a month ago...

So...okay.  I will walk through the crazy.  I am on a FB Marketplace group that is for weaving stuff.  Dangerous enough on its own.

While we were on vacation, there was a steal of a deal on a LeClerc Nilus floor loom with a 45" weaving width.  It also included a bench & tons of goodies.  It was really an awesome deal.  And I have been drooling over floor looms pretty much since I got the table loom.  *laugh*  And yep, the wide width has a whole lot of appeal.

It was kismet that I found it.  It was on our way home from the Adirondacks.  We could pick it up on the way home.  It was a sign, right...? 

But I really didn't *need* one.  So I waited...

Of course, after a few days contacted the seller to see if it was still available.  It was. 

So began all the looking at the stats.  It is a great deal.  Got to the point where measurements of the back of the minivan were being taken...  We could do this.

And then I came to my senses. 

I had just spent a lot on vacation.  I really to calm down.  It was more than I should spend after just having spent a good deal on vacation.

Also, my husband and I figured out that given the size would have to go upstairs in our bedroom/office space.  I asked the seller if it could be taken apart.  She said she had done that with many looms.  But she really didn't think it was wise with this one.  Getting about 150 pounds up two flights of stairs...  Yah...  Probably not wise.

I contacted the seller & told her I didn't think I should buy it.  She was terrific & said she understood.

Side note: It was sold about a week later...so it was meant to be someone else's!

So I waited a few days.  And then I gave a second look at a floor loom closer to home.  A 1/4th of the price of the one in the Adirondacks.  22" weaving width.  So still wider than the 15" one I have. 

The woman who sold me the table loom last year told me it was 24".  It is.  In the width of the table loom.  It is 15" weaving width.  I bought some kits before the loom arrived.  They are designed for over 15".  So I couldn't weave on the table loom...

I told the woman I would come take a look at it.  I didn't promise as I didn't know what it would be like in person.  The woman selling it had inherited from her aunt who had three looms.  A rigid heddle, the table loom with the floor loom conversion & a huge floor loom.  I didn't even look at the larger floor loom. Figured that was too dangerous!

The woman said excellent shape.  I looked at it while I was there.  But not closely.  There is some paint splashed on the front beam.  But I figured that should be easy to get off.

So I bought a new-to-me LeClerc Medico table loom with the floor conversion kit.  They only made them from the mid-60s to the early 70s. 

Thing is, I didn't look closely at all the metal.  When I got it home was when I realized the good deal of rust it has on the metal parts.  Mmmm....  Not ideal. 

So there has been a whole lot of researching to find out what works best for restoring it. Thus why it is in pieces...

The good news is LeClerc is really good about their parts working for multiple looms.  So that helps.  And honestly, without the awesome site from Camilla Valley Farm, I don't know that I would have purchased it.  But it was wonderful having info on it.

Camilla Valley Farm specializes in weaving - http://www.camillavalleyfarm.com/ . They sell parts and several people on the Ravelry weaving forums recommend them.  Nina was super helpful with my slew of questions.   

I learned that the metal frames/shafts are $45 a pop!  With four of them, that is a lot of $$.  The heddle bars cost $5 each.  So it would be another $40 for those.

I am going to be scrubbing the rust off the ones I have.  *laugh*  I may replace the heddle bars if I really love it & the rust comes back a lot.  But I want to see how things go with the loom first!
I did one round of cleaning the heddle bars, frames & one of the reeds with something called Naval Jelly.  It is what the Schacht site recommends. 

The thing is that the frames & heddle bars have some coating on them.  That after 45-50 years is bubbling up & off it.  I used a metal brush for the Naval Jelly.  And where I accidently scrubbed off the coating is actually better than the parts with the coating.

Most of the people on the weaving forums swear by something called Metal Rescue. Someone who also has a LeClerc Medico says she used steel wool to take the coating, soaked the pieces in Metal Rescue & then coated them with a silicone spray.  She says it is great.  So my plan is to do that. 

There are two reeds - 6 & 12 dents.  The 12 dent looked like it was copper.   The 6 was very spotted.  So I couldn't tell what it was.  After a couple rounds of Naval Jelly, it also looked like copper.  I was completely bewildered by that. 

The very kind Nina told me that the reeds of that vintage are GALVANIZED STEEL!  I was pretty stunned that they get a coppery look.    But at least I know I can treat them like steel. So that helps. 

Given the 22" reeds start at $71 for stainless...  Yah.  Think I need to clean the ones I have!

I keep saying every weekend that I will get it done.  I bought the loom on Sept. 2nd.  It is now Oct. 10th.  Ummm...  *hangs head*

I took off Columbus Day as the kids were home Monday.  My *plan* was to redo the metal pieces & soak them in Metal Rescue. But it rained all freaking weekend.  *grumblegrowl*  More irked because I really hope to finish it up this weekend!  But we keep having rain & I prefer to do it outdoors.

I ordered a new brake spring & coil as well as lease sticks & a new raddle from Camilla Valley Farm.  The brake spring has no spring to it.  But that isn't nearly as much.  And the lease sticks & raddle are about the wider weaving width.  So they were a given.

Camilla Valley Farm is in Canada.  They sent tracking info.  The parts made it to JFK on the 7th.  And then they decided I didn't live at JFK.  AND SENT THE PARTS BACK TO CANADA!!  *headdesk* 

Luckily, it seems someone in Canada can read.  And realized that I don't live at JFK.  So the package is on its way back to the US.  I am *hoping* this time the USPS or whatever entity handles it in the US can figure out that JFK is not in fact my zip code.  *sigh*

Though to give myself some credit, I did give the wood a bath with Murphy's Oil Soap.  I have some wood refinisher & oil that I should apply to it.  But again, that would be better to do outdoors in case of any fumes. 

Though on a side note, the paint didn't come off the front... *sigh*  Think it is oil based, not latex.  So I am still debating what to do about that...

So parts are in various places.  Waiting to be completed.  Whee!

But I hope at the end of all this to have a very lovely loom at a good price.

I still feel like it was a good value.  And hopefully with some elbow grease/products to help clean parts, I will have a working loom soonish. 

I would love to say maybe this weekend.  But I have been saying that every weekend since I got it (other than the one with my DD's birthday which I knew was not gonna happen.)

Mind you, if I am realistic, it is unlikely it will be all back together after only a weekend. 

The metal parts need attention.  And Metal Rescue suggests soaking it for 18 hours.  And that is only after sanding off the old coating.  Also, the wood treatment will take some time. 

And then there is also the canvas aprons.  The woman thought the apron was "filthy" so she took it off & washed it.  On the good side, she air dried it.  But I need to get that back on & make sure it is square!  I did measure to make sure the aprons are still square.  They are thank heavens.  But they need to be reattached to the beams. 

It was attached with staples.  But I don't think my staple gun will handle going into maple.  Someone suggested carpet tacks.  That seems the wise move for it.  Though in hindsight, now I am wondering if they won't rip the fabric over time...  Hmmm...  Maybe try the staples first & if not, move to the tacks.

I have to thank the awesome people on the Ravelry weaving groups.  In particular, Warped Weaver member have been awesome about sharing their restoration processes.  I love that so many people are eager to share their experiences.

And if you have a LeClerc loom and need parts, Camilla Valley Farms are terrific.  Nina definitely knows her stuff.  She was great about answering my many newbie questions.  And making sure I knew what the cost were of various parts & what was right for my loom.  She never made it about making a profit.  It was all about what was possible. 

I am so grateful for the awesome people that have helped.  And hopefully soon I will get to share some pics of my new-to-me loom dressed!

No comments: