Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Yarn Harlot Ideas for Xmas Presents - Part Two

I like that the Yarn Harlot put together a list of ideas for the non-knitters to give knitters. Kinda fun posting my desires.

Day 10 - pottery. Funny thing is this year pottery has a lot of appeal. I broke the handle on my fav mug about 2-3 weeks ago. I am really sad about it. I miss it on a daily basis. Luckily I found the maker. I love etsy. But her current stock is mainly animals like horses & rabbits. Not really my thing. (Turns out the mug I had was made when Comet Hale Bopp was in the sky. But she liked the design and is going to create a new series with rockets & stars in the spring. Can't wait.

Though this still leaves me without a mug that fits my hand so beautifully. *sigh*

The Yarn Harlot & others swear by Jennie the Potter's items. I think her pieces are pretty. But I confess the prices tend to more than I want to spend on myself. So maybe as a present it would be nice.

I do wonder about a yarn bowl. They seem kinda neat. But with two kids under three and a cat in the house, I am not sure how practical they would be. The etsy search for yarn bowls got me looking at this site. Kinda like the more simple one but also like the black with hearts but there are a bunch that are really lovely. Like this one.

Day 11 - woolie wash. Have to say, that one is kinda brilliant. That Soak sampler would make the perfect stocking stuffer. I lean to Eucalan, but like Soak too. The less it smells, the better.

Day 12 - ANYTHING SMALL. You know, all those things a knitter can never put your hands on when needed. For me, it is cable needles. Just ask, DH. I am sure you will get a litany about it. Can't blame the guy given how often I lose them. I have purchased at least 5. I think I might have one in my notions bag right now. She also suggest the Knit-kit which I love. Best money I have spent given it means I have everything from a tape measure, row counter, scissors, crochet hook and yarn cutter in one thing large enough so that I don't lose it, but small & light enough that I can carry it with me. Love it. (Only thing I would change in hind sight. I would have gotten the red or some other bright color. Me and black... I love it. But sometimes it is hard to find in the bottom of my knitting bag when knitting in the car.)

She also mentioned darning needles. Best thing I *ever* did with my knitting tools...I kept the card my darning needles came on and put them back on it. Yes, it means I can lose them all at once. But it does mean I can actually lay my hands on them when needed. Though one of the two large ones has taken up residence in the Knit-kit. Fits in the back and is get to have at any time.

Day 13 - A scale. Kinda a brilliant suggestion. One I wouldn't have thought of. I have one already. Though some day I should get a new one.

Day 14 - Knitting related ornaments. Not really my thing. But a cute idea for some folks. Though believe me some of the DIY ideas would be awesome if one of the kids made them for me when they got older.

Day 15 - an iPad. *grumblegrowl* Say tablet!! *shakes head* I really hate people that assume a tablet = iPad. You can get a good Android tablet for less than you would spend on a similar iPad and there is an sd card so you can expand it.

I already have a tablet. And yes, I like the idea of having my patterns on it. Nope. I haven't transferred all my patterns to it.

Why? Because tablets suck up energy and batteries drain. I put a pattern on DH Kindle when he got it, thinking that would be amazing. Honestly, not so much. I know the Kindle isn't as good as a tablet with charts and such. But it retains the words *even when you turn it off* which makes a huge difference. (Given how much ereaders have come down, I do confess I have considered getting a base model Nook for ebooks & patterns. But then I think about lugging around another device...)

Day 16 - Magazine holders. Not a big magazine gal. I confess I am way more tempted by Interweave now that they have it in e-format.

Gotta scoot!

No comments: