Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Oodles of Finished Object Photos & My Lovely Birthday Pressie

I finally got all the pics together. Hooray! So this is a picture intensive post.

First I have to share the pics of the knitting bag Silvercat made for my birthday. I love this bag!

Knitting Bag Made by Silvercat


This has been a weird couple knitting weeks. I worked on the Zombie Sock. They were done on the 13th which was cool. I cast on the Quick No-Purl Keyhole Scarf which was as the name said. Super quick. I finished it in less than 24 hours! *chuckle*

Then, I didn't put anything on my needles until six days later!! *blink* Weirdness.

I admit part is I didn't know what I wanted to do. I tossed around some ideas but nothing was talking to me.

I have still been spinning most mornings. But no knitting. Bizarre.

I should take some pics of some of the spinning too. But hey, I finally got the project pics done. So it is progress. *chuckle*

So here are the items in order of completion.

Zombie Socks in Scout's Swag Socktoberfest




Generated by Flickr Album Maker



Cast On:

August 29, 2008

Completed:

September 13, 2008

Pattern:

Zombie Socks by Sheryl Giles

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/zombie-socks

Made for:

Me in Size 9

Needles:

Knitpicks Options & Harmony Circs 1 1/2 / 2.5 mm

Yarn:

Scout's Swag Superwash Merino/Tencel in Socktoberfest colorway

http://www.scoutsswag.com/

1 skeins = 375.0 yards

Trade from Silvercat http://shinysilverstrands.blogspot.com/

The photos don't show the yarn well. The colors are grey, orange & purple. The thick stripes are the grey. The orange & purple look mixed. Also, the tencel gives it a beautiful sheen. And I am hoping it will help it wear really well.

I have been debating what to do with the Scout's Swag in Socktoberfest that I got from Silvercat. I was worried that the Zombie pattern might be too busy for the yarn. But I really like the way it looks.

I did these toe-up. The pattern is cuff down but the pattern repeat doesn't matter which end is up. So it is easy to switch to toe-up instead.

Some striping happened that I think is interesting. Though it isn't as neat on the leg as it was on the foot. But it still looks good I think.

I worked the toe up to the 64 stitches recommended in the pattern. It fits my foot well. It is a little loose, but I am hoping that it will tighten up a smidge when I wash it.

Given the orange in these, I want them knit by Halloween. Unfortunately, there isn't enough orange in the yarn for them to count for the September Sock Knitter's Anonymous KAL on Ravelry. Ah well. I really enjoyed the pattern & the yarn.

Quick No-Purl Keyhole Scarf in Handspun Merino

Quick No-Purl Keyhole Scarf in Handspun Merino


Cast On:

September 13, 2008

Completed:

September 14, 2008

Pattern:

Quick No-Purl Keyhole Scarf by Saralyn Harvey

http://fireflowerknits.wordpress.com/2008/02/02/quick-no-purl-keyhole-scarf/

Made for:

Not sure. Maybe me, maybe a present

Needles:

Knitpicks Options US 13 / 9.0 mm

Yarn:

Handspun made from Merino Wool Top Roving

Purchased at Adirondack Woolery

http://www.adirondackwoolery.com/

I didn't realize this one was still waiting to be posted. It was a super fast knit.

The photos really don't do justice to this fiber. It has a beautiful sheen to it.

Cast on 23 stitches to add 2 more pattern repeats.

I made a mistake with the slip 1 purlwise. I got a good way into the pattern and realized that it specified to bring the yarn forward. I hadn't done that.

I placed the hole in the wrong spot. It is too close to the center. I am debating what I want to do with it. I may pick up some more fiber & spin more, adding to the ends. Or I may just accept it is a bit funky. Not sure yet.

I will check out the Adirondack Woolery when I am up in the Adirondacks again for Columbus Day weekend. If they are open, I will pick up some more fiber and add some to each end. I might make another pattern for the ends just to mix it up. We will see.

Basic Socks in Handspun Superwash Wool



Generated by Flickr Album Maker



Cast On:

September 20, 2008

Completed:

September 23, 2008

Pattern:

Improvised Toe-Up Pattern

Made for:

Me in Size 9

Needles:

Knitpicks Options & Harmony Circs US 5 / 3.75 mm

Yarn:

Handspun yarn made with a Ranches Angoras Superwash merino batt in Ember

Purchased from http://theranch.etsy.com

4 oz. ~ 235 yards - used most of it

I spun the superwash wool I got from theranch.etsy.com (Ranches Angoras). It is their Ember roving. I really love the way the fiber came out. It is red and grey.

Given I didn't know how much yarn it would take, I decided toe-up was the better choice. This way, I could see if there was enough stretch in them to make decent socks. If not, I would rip it out and do something else with the yarn.

I decided that a simple 2x2 rib was a smart choice. It has a lot of elasticity to it which helps.

Honestly, I am surprised that they seem to have enough stretch. I was worried. But they fit pretty nicely.

The thicker yarn made these a super fast knit! 4 days total.

They are definitely house/boot socks as they are thick. But I like the way they came out. And I am super happy about the yarn having enough elasticity. Hooray!

No comments: