Friday, July 12, 2019

Days 2-6 of the Tour de Fleece - Fun with The First Draft Polwarth/Silk


I have been working on The First Draft Polwarth/Silk in the Thomas Waith Is In Love colorway.  I got the first half of the singles spun during last year's TdF!

Day 2 - 2nd Singles Done!

Got to spend a good chunk of the day spinning.  So I completed the singles.  Hooray!



Created via Instragram's photo collage:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzo0TZhB13-obdlt_4i-2eTaXmuE006fZk9VFE0/

On the musicals front, I watched Moulin Rouge first.  Love that movie.

Decided to watch the Heathers musical episode of Riverdale.  It is fun.  And I like the music much to my surprise the first time I watched it.  Love the 80s movie and didn't see the point in the musical version.   But after hearing the music, I think it is fun.

I watched part of Little Shop of Horrors.  Would have finished, but my DD wanted to finish it with me. So we finished it the next day.  And probably best not to have her watching huge plants that eat people right before bed!  *grin*


Day 3 - Started Plying



Created via Instragram's photo collage:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzriip2BZtIcI2C3Kbxu9oSgkBb8Hxo_kU-XQQ0/

Started plying.  Probably should have let it rest more.  But....  Not that patient.  And want my Akerwork bobbins for the next project!

Love the way it is turning out.  Parts look very much like candy cane.  Other bits look like pink cotton candy!   Think it will be fun and DD loves it.

For musicals, we finished Little Shop of Horrors & also watched the musical episode from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  The kids have been hearing the music in the car for most of their lives! 

Debating when Elder Munchkin is old enough to watch the tv series.  She seems to love vampires & more.  And one of her fav shows at the moment is My Babysitter Is a Vampire.  Buffy is *definitely* older.  But we'll see...

I have to give a huge shout out to Akerworks - https://www.akerworks.com/ LOVE the bulky bobbin I got. 

I had serious issues with the bulky Woolee Winder flyer with my Ladybug.  The wood bobbins combined with the weight of the WW flyer made it way too heavy & took too much force to treadle.

I had been thinking I would sell the WW bulky flyer.  But since the Akerworks bobbin is much lighter, it spins wonderfully.  Hooray!

And even more awesome, I won it as a prize with last year's TdF Akerworks group.  So I didn't have to spend more money to see if it would work with the bulky flyer.  I would gladly pay them for it!  I know I really want to buy more of the regular bobbins.  Love them.  And really want at least one or two more for 3 plies & maybe letting bobbins rest before plying!

Day 4 - More Plying



Created via Instragram's photo collage:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzuKhsfhdpIzcJXTt6I4pB6h7cMs22Bz6Q8NrY0/

Loving it still.  Though seems slow going.  Tuesday through Thursday, I work in NYC.  And my commute is about 2 hours each way.  So I spend about 4 hours in transit.  So on those days, I know I won't make as much progress...

Day 5 - Yet More Plying

I got home late as I got stuck at work.  So I was way late.  Impressed I got anything done!  But I did a good chunk of spinning.



Created via Instragram's photo collage:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz0OMlqhKsuclDhxcHh2LlTnVEsfJSofXqyK340/

Day 6 - You Guessed It!  PLYING!

Yep.  Yet more plying! 


Created via Instragram's photo collage:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz0O55bB1Hw3SSBXd3VIPP9S61C5JS26EvQCPo0/

Ran out of singles on one bobbin.  So I am breaking it at a good color transition & plying it together.  On the one hand, that means I am getting close.  On the other, the bobbins are very uneven in length.  A lot more on the bobbin I spun this year. 

I am curious what this means as I have a pretty dormant ply with an active one for most of the plying.  But the last bit will be two active plies. Not sure how it will behave.

Just gonna have to see when it gets it bath!

I really think this needs to be the warp of something like a scarf where if there are tension differences it can look artsy.   Not sure it will or if it will just look like bad weaving!  But I figure it should be interesting.  And having it with a warp of a more commercial yarn should help.  I may even have a nice Dresden colorway yarn to compliment it. 

Hoping to get the plying finished tonight.  *fingers crossed*  TGIF!

Not sure if I will do more musicals tonight.  Or if I will watch more Stranger Things...  Hubby has to go to a board meeting tonight.  So I have solo tv time after the kids head to bed.  Decisions decisions!


No comments: