Friday, January 3, 2014

Socks in a Week (Actually 8 Days)


The woman who taught me to knit posted on her blog that she was planning on participating in a KAL.  It is to knit socks in a week, though actually eight days. 

When I read it, there was really just the idea with more info to come.   So I figured cool.  Let's do it.

When I checked in again, closer to the date, the pattern was very specific.  Cuff down & magic loop done one sock at a time. Ummm...

I tried one sock at a time again recently.  And what I learned was it doesn't work for me.  I want to check out of the process after one sock is done. 

Also, I like toe-up.  I like using as much yarn as I can or stopping where it feels right.  With cuff down, I always stop too soon because I think I will run out of yarn.  Even when I weight the yarn & *know* I have enough.  So I have learned that toe-up makes me happier.

So I decided to follow along the dates but not the pattern.  I figured I was following it in spirit if not to the letter.  Or maybe that is just me justifying.  *grin*

I cast on the socks Sunday, the 29th.  I got started in the car on the way to see family in CT for the holidays.  It was going well.  I got most of the way done with the increases on the trip up there.  All good. 

The trip home was in the dark.  I decided that since it was stockinette with just a few more increases I could do it.  Wrong.  *sigh*  I was trying to use my phone as a light and not blind DH while he was driving in the rain.  Yet it wasn't the increases that got me.  I was feeling it and realized I had dropped a stitch.  *sigh*  So it had to wait until I got home.  Ah well.

I was off until New Years which was Weds..  So there was plenty of knitting time.  Of course.  Right... 

Ummm.  Except one snag.  We got some used instruments for Rock Band for the Wii.  And that meant a whole lot of silliness with that.  It was a lot of fun, but it also meant I didn't knit as much as I thought I would.

Yesterday it was back to the office.  I knit for a little while last night.  But I have been fighting crud for a few days now.  So DH & I watched one show.  Then I headed to bed.  So probably less than an hour of knitting tops.

So as things stand, I think I am ready to start the increases for the heel.  But frankly, unless I do nothing but knit for the next 50+ hours, I really doubt they will get done.  I am going to give it a try, but seems doubtful.

Mind you, I think that I shouldn't ever have believed the blogger when she said it takes 14 hours to knit a pair of socks.  She insists she is a slow knitter.  That for only an hour & 40 minutes a day, you could bang out socks. 

Maybe I am an even slower knitter.  And maybe the two socks on two circs method is slower.  But other than only knitting an hour or so last night, I really have put in at least two hours of knitting the other four days of the KAL.  Some days not much more.  But I think at least one of the days it was closer to four hours.

And I am only 2/3rd of the way done with the feet...  So I have serious doubts. 

Ah well.  Either way, I will have socks and that is ultimately what matters, right?

So of course, being a crazy woman...  I found a group on Ravelry for 12 pairs in 2014.    They started in 2012.  They have a loose attitude and really just seem to be about making as many socks in a year as you want.  They have a vote on patterns each month.  But any month you can always knit what you feel like it.  So just my kind of KAL.

Knowing me, I may pigback it to the Sock Knitters Anonymous group. SKA does different themes each month as well as a couple designers.  One of the January themes is lace, another intarsia...  So you see how board that is!  One of the designers is Stephanie van der Linden.  I have been looking at her patterns for ages & even have a book of her patterns a friend gave me.  Though I also think her patterns require solid yarns which for all my sock yarn stash I actually lack!  *chuckle*

I should review my 2013 goals & try again for 2014.  But today is not that day.  I am gonna post this and then go enjoy the snow day with the kids as the work day is nearly done.  Luckily I was working from home today!  It is beastly out there.

No comments: