Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Yarns & Patterns



Every time I get a new yarn that screams *KNIT ME NOW*, I start the pattern looking.  Today it is the Nightfall in deep purple.  If you know me, you know my thing for dark colors.  Black, purple & reds are my favs.  So finding a yarn that goes from the color of your choice to black...well, you can imagine it screamed my name. *laugh*

There is 490 yards in the skein.  And with it being a single skein, it is definitely shawl material.

Haruni
Ravelry Link:
Non-Rav:
Example in Nightfall:

This is the leader at the moment.  It is a pattern I have been wanting to do. Though part of me feels like given so many people have used Nightfall with this that I don't want to do it.  18 not counting hibernating or frogged out. But it might also just be that it is a good pairing.  Or morely likely that given there are over 6000 projects...  Wow.  That is a lot!

The sample link with the Nightfall has beads, but only at the end.  So *if* I feel up for them, I could add them at the end.  Or not depending on my mood.  *grin*

A couple people ran out on the edging.  But the beauty of this going to nearly a black is that I can dig up some yarn that can look like the edging without it having to be the same skein. 

Lilah
Ravelry Link:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lilah-shawl
Non-Rav:
Example in Nightfall:

The original large size was made in Nightfall, but it was a limited edition fiber that was a much larger skein than the one I got.  Though the pattern has three sizes and the small is under the yardage I have.  I like the pattern a good deal.

Bitterroot
Ravelry Link:
Non-Rav:
Example in Nightfall:

Lovely pattern that is very gorgeous.  Though part of me looks at it and wants the beads that are pictured with it.  Though I think a break from beads is in order. 

Swallowtail Shawl
Ravelry Link:
Non-Rav:
Example in Nightfall:

This one has been on my list to do for a long while.  But I don't know if it is shouting the loudest to be done.  Tough call.  *smile*

The funniest part is that all four of these patterns were already in my favorites and two were in my queue.  Though the two in the queue were there from when I was looking at Luxe patterns.  Yet they all have been knit in Nightfall!  *laugh*

Thing is that the all but the Swallowtail would look better with beads.  But I swear I am not getting involved with beads again right now.  Really.  Honest.  *laugh*

Ah.  Gotta add another contender.

Aeolian
Ravelry Link:
Non-Rav:
Example in Gradient Yarn:

Aeolian is still talking to me in a big way.  I was leaning heavily towards this for the Luxe gradient from Unique Sheep.  But I decided against it in the end.  I keep wondering about this one...  But it comes back to the beads.  Would it be as lovely without them?  Hmmm.  I think I am trying to convince myself that it wouldn't look half as good without the beads.  And more yardage would be nice, right...  *laugh*

There are others I considered.

Autumn in Vincennes (rav link) is lovely, but it seems to be calling me to use some handspun.  It can take a yarn with some variation so it would be better for that.  So maybe I will knit it with something I spin for the Tour de Fleece.

Citron and Afternoon Tea are also saying handspun to me. Love the semi-circle shapes.  They both look like easy knits too.

Wings of Peace (rav link) has been saying knit me.  But the yardage it requires is too much.  I could cut it shorter but I don't really want to.   

The Stora Dimun Shawl (rav link but pattern in Folk Shawls) is beautiful but needs more yardage I think.  Though I finally added that to my queue for some day as I really like it.   Again, I think this could stand up to a nice handspun, though given the yardage, it is more likely to be a Knit Picks yarn!

Looking at shawl patterns also got me wanting to take on one of the EZ 100th Anniversary Half-Circle shawls by Mwaa Knit (rav).  There are three on Ravelry that are beautiful.  Though we come back to yardage & they *definitely* need a very plain yarn. 

Enough browsing.  Of course, I may decide to try and tackle this for the Ravelmpics.  I am not sure yet.  Decisions decisions!


No comments: