Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reptilian Lace Socks in Handpainted Yarn

I finally got around to taking pics of these socks! I had been meaning to for nearly a week. But my darling hubby had been tender from having two cysts removed. So I didn't want to trouble him to help me. It is kinda funny doing them myself. Propping the camera up on something and then bending over to snap the pic. *laugh* So the pics aren't as good as they usually are. But hey, they are done! *grin*



Generated by Flickr Album Maker



Cast On:
January 11 2009

Completed:
February 4 2009

Pattern:
Reptilian Lace by Sivia Harding
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTreptilianlace.html

Made for:
Me - 9" circumference, 9 1/4" long

Needles:
Knitpicks Options & Harmony needles in US 3 / 3.25 mm, US 2 / 2.75 mm & US 1 / 2.25 mm
2 socks on 2 circs


Yarn:
Cosmic Fibers Bamboo Sock in Black Orchid - Dyed by me, not Dharmahey
0.9 skeins = 346.5 yards (316.8m)
Purchased at Dharmafey's Cosmic Fibers http://cosmicfibersyarn.etsy.com


I was debating what to do for the January Sock Knitters Anonymous KAL. I could do either socks with beads, an online pattern or the beaded mystery sock. I was tempted by the mystery sock. But that would have required going out and buying more beads. I really didn’t want to do that given I have a lot of beads sitting around unused.

These are socks with beads strung onto the yarn. So they are smaller than the ones I would have needed to the mystery sock. Though I want to do those some other time.

This actually fits in the KAL in two ways. It is a beaded sock & it is an online pattern. *grin*

I did write the moderator to make sure bead knitting was also okay. From what I have read, beaded knitting can mean that the bead is slid onto the stitch vs. bead knitting where the beads are stung onto the yarn. She said any sock with beads were fine.

I was curious how these will fit. The gauge says 36-sts, but then only has you cast on 66 sts. I started with a size 3 needle in hopes they would fit okay. With all the yarn overs & such, I think they will fit just fine on the leg. I went down to a size two as I got closer to the heel. And then I went down to a size one needle for the foot so it would be a tighter fit.

The funny part is that I actually wound my Schaefer Heather into balls with the intention that I would use that for the January project. But after looking at some patterns, I decided I really liked this one. I went looking in my stash for a yarn that could work well. And this one grabbed my eye as a great match.

I suspect I should have done silver beads instead of gold/copper ones I used. But I like the way the beads play off the purples. I think it does make the black look more brown. But I think they are nice.

I wish the beads had been a larger size though. The pattern said to use a larger bead size, but I have a lot of beads and didn’t want to buy more. So I used seed beads. They don’t show up a lot, but there is a nice shimmer there.

I like the way they came out. It is a nice pattern and was pretty easy.

I didn't notice until this morning that these socks match my handspun shawl pretty well! *chuckle* It is the black, purple & burgundy combo I like so much. I really think I dyed this yarn before I ordered the fiber that I used for my shawl. Too funny!

No comments: