Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fiber!


I got to play with some fiber over the long weekend. Definitely nice!


Tempted Hand Painted 80% superwash merino/20% Cashmere - Handspun by Me



Tempted Hand Painted  80% superwash merino/20% Cashmere - Handspun by Me

Fiber Purchased at

The Loopy Ewe

http://www.theloopyewe.com/

$26

Colorway:

Roxanne - Red & Black


I had been lusting over this fiber for a bit before picking it up. Love the colors, combined with it being merino/cashmere, I couldn’t resist.


I confess that I was a bit disappointed that the dye didn't reach the center of the fiber in some places. So there are lighter patches in the yarn. They aren't too noticeable, but it wasn't what I figured when looking at the online pics. I still like the end result.


It was spun & Navajo plied on my Babe Double Treadle Production wheel.


This is my first time doing an entire skein of yarn with Navajo plying. I think it came out pretty well. I don't think I overtwisted it. But it is hard to tell until I skein & soak it.


I think it is definitely too thick for socks. Not sure what exactly I will do with it. I have been thinking a scarf on a diagonal or something to accentuate the stripes of color. Feather & fan could also highlight that.

I need to skein & soak the yarn. Despite finishing this on Saturday, I never got around to do that. I hope to do that soon as I need to figure out the yardage & wraps per inch.


Custom Cashmere/Merino/Silk Batt from Winderwood Farm on Etsy


Cashmere/Merino/Silk Batt from Winderwood Farm on Etsy


I got a great deal on this stuff. It is beautiful. The terrific guy at Winderwood Farm dyed it especially for me. The colors are a rich purple & a deep red. Yummy.


http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=13566446

I think this is the listing for the remaining fiber:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20473704


He produced more than I requested. So I bought as much as I could afford to. The pics in the original listing don’t do it justice. The color in the photo show the deeper & richer color than the listing. Super yummy batts. Soft and lofty. A pleasure to spin.


I find I can spin this fiber thinner than most fibers I have used. I don't know if that is about the fiber blend, the batts or just magic. *chuckle* I did nearly identical fiber from the same folks for a present for a friend & loved it so I had to get some for myself. I got 10 oz. and so wish I could have afforded more. This is heavenly stuff.

No comments: