Monday, December 15, 2008

Two More Christmas Knits

I am pretty happy. I have gotten though a lot of my holiday knitting. I have half a scrubbie (which are super quick). I might also knit another dish towel before Christmas, might do something else. There are two more larger projects for friends I will see after the holidays. And since I have two weeks off, I will have time to get those done. Woohoo!

Christmas Lizard Ridge Dish Towel


Christmas Lizard Ridge Dish Towel

Pattern:
Lizard Ridge Dishcloth by Laura Aylor
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lizard-ridge-dishcloth

Made for:
Greg & Mary

Size:
18" x 8 1/2" prewash

Needles:
US 7 / 4.5 mm Knitpicks Options

Yarn:
Lily Elite Cotton
~0.6 skeins = 110.4 yards in Fire red w/fuschia - dyed by me
&
~0.5 skeins = 92.0 yards in Forest Green - Dyed by me
Purchased at Smiley's Yarns in Woodhaven, New York

The designer, LAylor13, was kind enough to reply to my mail asking about how to create this lovely pattern in two colors.

Row 1 & 2 - contrast color
Row 3 & 4 - main color
Row 5 – 8 - contrast color
Row 9 & 10 - main color
Row 11 & 12 - contrast color

I thought this was going to be an easy project, but the short rows do require some attention to get them right. So I had to stop now and again when I was watching something involved on tv. I was watching a movie and had to rip out the entire round short rowing plus some previous rows to fix some errors. But I really love the way it looks so I think it was worth it.

I was a bit worried about running out of the green. It takes more of the contrast color than I expected. But I got to 18" prewashed. I know it will shrink some in the dyer, but not more than an inch or two based on the other yarns I have dyed.

The yarn was had dyed by me. It was basic white.

I hope the recipients like it. *crosses fingers* I really was debating what to make for them. Decided to do with Christmas colors.



Red & Green Scrubbie

Red & Green Scrubbie

Pattern:
Circular Scrubby by Gwen Bortner
http://tankhouse.knitability.com/freepatterns/DishClothDuo.pdf

Made for:
Cullen

Size:
4" across

Needles:
US 10 / 6.0 mm Knitpicks Options

Yarn
Lily Elite Cotton
~0.1 skeins = 18 yards in Fire red w/fuschia - dyed by me
&
~0.1 skeins = 18 yards in Forest Green - Dyed by me
Purchased at Smiley's Yarns in Woodhaven, New York


I wanted larger size than the pattern provides. Cast on 30 sts, did 28 row/14 repeats. Got the perfect size. Lays flat unlike some earlier ones I did which puffed up.

Did 2 row in each color. Worked well and looks good. Super easy & quick pattern.

Giving scrubbie w/dish towel as Xmas presents.

No comments: