Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tour de Fleece Goals & Fiber Pics

I realize that I hadn't stated goals any goals for the Tour de Fleece. I kept thinking about this in a vague way as a reason to spin. But I want to nail down some fixed goals.

  • Spin at least 15 minutes a day, but aiming for an hour or more on days when I have more time
  • Work on getting more consistent quality to my spinning (still a newbie, getting better but not there yet)
  • Spin some of the superwash wool, merino top & wool locks I have
  • Try Navajo plying... *gulp*

I would also like to dye some roving if/when I buy some more. But I bought a lot of fiber recently. So I am not putting this as a goal as it is probably smarter *not* to add more fiber to the pile! *grin*

This is my first batch of the Decadent Fibers Jelly Roll plied together. I plied this last Friday, so it was before the start of the Tour de Fleece.

This is made from roving from Decadent Fibers. It is the Jelly Roll. I should have order Spun Sugar as it is already in strips perfect for spinning. The Jelly Roll is as the name implies, a big huge roll of fiber. Whoops! I just have to rip off strips and predraft them. So it is working well.

I have a hard time getting the colors of this. They are terrific. I took one with and one without the flash.



Generated by Flickr Album Maker

Larger ball:

around 93 yds = 1 7/8 oz

Smaller ball:

around 57 yds = 1 1/4 oz

Total:

150 yds = 3 1/4 oz

It seems to be around 15-16 wraps per inch for 2". So 7 1/2 to 8 wpi. It really doesn't seem like super bulky! I swear this is much thinner than the last batches of handspun yarn by a good deal! I know some areas are thicker which could be part of the issue.

I suspect I need to try counting some more wraps per inch in other areas of the yarn. Perhaps the ends are more bulky than the middle. Or maybe I just think super bulky is super thick and I am wrong. Bizarre.


No comments: