Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day One, Two and Start of Three of the Tour de Fleece

I am very excited to be participating in the Tour de Fleece http://keeponknittinginthefreeworld.blogspot.com/ or Ravelry group http://www.ravelry.com/groups/tour-de-fleece

I was on vacation in the Adirondacks and just got home late yesterday. I really suspected I wouldn't get to spin on Day 1 Sunday or Day 2 yesterday. I was prepared to just bring my spindle and the silk hankies so at least I could get in a bit of spinning.

I kiddingly said I could sneak my wheel into the car to my hubby. He said why not! So I brought my lovely Babe wheel along. It is very light and with it being PVC it seems to travel well. The woman I bought it from used it as a training wheel and would take it to classes. So I figured it would be fine and it was.

Saturday, I stopped by a place Newcomb, NY called Adirondack Woolery. http://www.adirondackwoolery.com/

They had some wonderful fibers. There is some natural colored sliver from their own sheep. I bought 4 oz. of it. And guess what I did on Sunday? Spun the whole 4 oz.! Woohoo! I think that is a good start to the Tour.

I need to post pics. But see previous post!

Yesterday I spun for about an hour and a half. I used the lovely Decadent Fibers roving I have been spinning. I am getting to the point where I can spin it thinner than before which seems to indicate I am getting better at spinning.

I also made skeins of the yarn I plied before leaving. I like how they came out. Not super chunky like most of my previous attempts. I think they look pretty good.

I soak them. The water got pretty dark with color which is a bit worrisome. I did it in warm water, but not super hot as I didn't want it to felt. The color still looks good so I am hoping it is just excess dye washing out of the yarn. *crosses fingers*

I also did about a half hour of spinning with the Decadent Fibers roving this morning. So that is good too. I will do some more when I get home.

So not bad for my first days on the Tour de Fleece.

No comments: