Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Scarves in Handspun Yarns


Diagonal Scarf with Handspun



Generated by Flickr Album Maker

Pattern:

Go Diagonal Scarf by Sophia Kessinger

http://yarnovermanhattan-free-patterns.blogspot.com/

Made for:

Me probably though could be a gift

Yarn:

Finn Handspun & Handyed

Around 55.0 yards

Colorway - Tropical Punch & Grape Kool Aid

Fiber was given to me with my wheel

Needles:

Knitpicks Options US 13 / 9.0 mm

The total measurement on this is only 5" wide, 23" long. So another neckwarmer! *chuckle*

I would have been happier if it had been longer. But otherwise it was good. It was a quick knit that was very simple and features the yarn pretty well.

This is my first batch of handspun where I plied two singles together. I wanted something that would feature the texture without overwhelming the yarn. This project was suggested on the Ravelry knitting with handspun group as being good with thick & thin yarns. It seems to be working very well.

It is super simple to knit and is going very quickly. Though as I feared there wasn't enough yarn to make a scarf. My second handspun neck warmer! *laugh* That is all I could make with the first handspun I made given there was no length to it. I wish this one was longer, but it wasn't.

I ended up going with 19 sts wide as I like scarves to have some thickness. I suspect I should have gone thinner. But I am not a fan of skinny scarves.

I am still not sure about the colors. They were dyed with Kool-Aid. I may overdye it with some more Kool-Aid. Though I might also spin some more fiber and add it to each end instead. Not sure yet.

So Called Scarf in Handspun Romney



Generated by Flickr Album Maker

Pattern:

My So Called Scarf by Allison Isaacs

http://imagiknit.com/?p=60

Yarn:

Shepherd's Mill Farm Romney Roving Handspun by Me

Colorway Purple with some Grey

8 oz. about 90.0 yards (not including some extra that is overtwisted & very lumpy from spinning it on spindle)

Purchased at Delaware Highland Games

Needles:

Knitpicks Options US 13 / 9.0 mm

I cast on 18 sts which is a lot less than the pattern calls for. On the other hand, the yarn I spun is thick. And if I cast on too many stitches, it would have been another short, wide neck warmer! I already have done two of those with handspun. I would really rather not do a third.

I am not sure if this will keep going or get frogged. I am not sure the yarn is the right texture to show this well. I think the Romney might have too many fibers sticking up. So I may not look good. I will knit some more of it and see if I like it.


No comments: