Monday, June 9, 2008

I Have Plied & My First Project with My Own Handspun

I Plied! Woohoo!

I did my first batch of plying yarn. I am super excited!

I spent time on Saturday plying the singles for the three fibers I had made into singles.

The first is the Ashland Bay Multi-Color Merino 64 Top Roving in raspberry color with other colors added.



Generated by Flickr Album Maker

Purchased at the Yarn Tree in Brooklyn.

http://www.theyarntree.com

Spun about an ounce on my drop spindle, spin the remainder with my Babe Double Treadle Production wheel. I plied it with black thread as it was very thick in spots & very thin in others so I didn’t want to add more bulk by plying two stands together.

I have to say, not at all bad for my first plying attempt. After soaking to set the twist, 2 of the 3 skeins laid flat. The smallest skein was twisting some. However I was able to untwist it a bit when I knit with it. So I think it worked out really well for my first plying attempt.



Generated by Flickr Album Maker

Left:

Kona Merino Mohair Roving in browns with some green.

Purchased at the Yarn Tree in Brooklyn.

http://theyarntree.com

Right:

Pencil Roving gifted to be from a terrific woman on Ravelry (who I suspect also got it at the Yarn Tree)

Single spun on my drop spindle. Plied with my Babe Double Treadle Production wheel. The pencil roving was plyed with black thread, the Kona was with green. The pencil roving wasn't as much thick and thin, but I still liked to not make it so thick. So I like using the thread.

I have to say, not at all bad for my first plying attempt. Done the same day with the Ashland Bay Multi-Color Merino 64.

I am definitely loving the wheel! It makes such a difference. And I really am enjoying it.

So what to do. I had the 4 oz of Ashland Bay fiber so I needed to knit something with it of course.


Pattern:

Instant Gratification Scarf by Cyn

http://www.cyn.ca/knit/patterns/instant-gratification-scarf/


Yarn:

My First Handspun!!

From Ashland Bay Multi-Color Merino 64 Roving

4 oz.



Generated by Flickr Album Maker

Needles:

US 13 Knitpicks Options

I kove the pattern. It was super quick and easy. It also shows off the thick and thin texture of the handspun yarn very nicely. The twisted drop stitch gives it a bit more structure which is good given this is my first handspun!

This is pretty short. It is a neckwarmer, not really a scarf. I could have cast on less stitches to get more length, but I really like things wider. I will have to pin it in place. I definitely like it. My first handspun project!

It was a productive weekend which is good given it was too hot to step foot outside. *grin*

No comments: