Saturday, June 13, 2015

OOOPPSS!



 What is wrong with this picture?

See How to Ply in the Wrong Direction?!

For spinners, you can tell.  One is over plied.  One looks balanced.  They are the same fiber.  Same singles.

So why did one go horribly wrong?

Because I can't remember which is S & which is Z twist.  *headesk*

So.

I started spinning in 2008.  It really has been that long.

And for some reason, I got it stuck in my head that S twist was clockwise and Z was counterclockwise. 

Wrong.

With the new-to-me wheel, I have been trying to improve my spinning.  I have been reading some of my many spinning books.  And realized I have the twist direction backwards. 

Z twist is clockwise. S twist is counterclockwise. 

Yet somehow, I keep getting it wrong!  *laugh* 

In some fairness, having them backwards for almost seven years, it isn't surprising that I keep getting it wrong.

I thought I read that it was best to S twist the singles and Z ply the singles into yarn for knitting. 

So when I realized I got them backwards, I have been trying to make sure I spun the singles counterclockwise & ply clockwise.

This is against the many skeins I have made throughout the years.

Though in checking, it is actually recommended to spin the singles clockwise & ply counterclockwise!!  So I have been doing it right for years.  I have just thought it was S then Z.  But in fact I had been doing it Z then S, just as it is suggested.

But with the new wheel, I thought I should be spinning the singles counterclockwise.  Then ply clockwise. 

So given I thought I should reverse things, I got completely twisted around.

Thus, plying in the same direction I spun the singles!  All because I am getting twisted.

Note to self -
Spin clockwise
Ply counterclockwise

Just like I have been for seven years.

But in terms of spinning, that means Z then S.  Not S then Z like I have thought for the past many years...

*headdesk*

Live and learn...

On a completely different note, the Button Bands & Buttonholes Craftsy class is terrific.

http://www.craftsy.com/class/button-bands-&-buttonholes/254?_ct=sbqii-sqjuweho-dum&_ctp=17&rceId=1434232135150~xhrcnj1q

I went on a buying spree of some Craftsy classes a while back. I am embarrassed to admit just how long ago...  I have to add a buttonband to the sweater that has been languishing for my hubby for ages now. 

The class has super useful info & things I never would have thought about.  A lot has to do with sewing on buttons.  I sew so they are completely different concerns than those of sewn garments.  Very cool stuff & useful.  It also tells me that I want Anne Hanson's button collection. *laugh*





No comments: