Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Finished or Almost Finished Objects

I have been a busy bee with baby knits. I want to get as much done for the baby's arrival as possible. And heaven knows I love the instant gratification of baby knits! *grin*

So I have been working on knitting as much as possible.


Loving Memories Lacy Bunting


Cast On:
May 20, 2009

All Knit, Just Waiting for Buttons & Bottom Closure:
Around July 30th, 2009



Generated by Flickr Album Maker



Pattern:
Loving Memories Lacy Bunting by Lion Brand Yarn
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwe-bunt.html

Made for:
Kiddle Due in Sept.

Needles:
US 4 / 3.5 mm
US 6 / 4.0 mm

Yarn:
Bernat Organic Cotton in white - 43006
Purchased at Smiley's Yarns in Woodhaven, New York

I looked at a number of buntings and really like this one. The lacy bits on the bottom will be lovely for my baby girl who is due in Sept.

I have decided to knit the body in the round. I loathe seaming and there doesn’t seem like there is a good reason why it needs to be done for this piece.

I subtracted 2 stitches from each side of the front & back. That means I cast on 180 sts.

I charted out the lace pattern. It is my first time converting a flat pattern into one in the round. It was definitely interesting. I should post the chart to my blog as it might be useful for someone else.

I finished knitting the body on 7/25. Added the hood which was done shortly afterwards.

Just need to add the buttons. I am also thinking about on putting a zipper on the bottom. The pattern suggests velcro. But after having some velcro get stuck to another knit item, I think having it on a knit item on purpose is just asking for trouble. So the zipper might work better.


Wave Jumper


Cast On:
May 17, 2009

Completed:
July 18, 2009



Generated by Flickr Album Maker



Pattern:
Wave Jumper by Leslie Barbazette
From from 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders

Made for:
Kiddle due in Sept.

Size:
3-6 mns - Middle size

Needles:
US 3 / 3.25 mm (I think, might have been a 2 and I didn't mark it)

Yarn:
Some Assembly Required Socks That Shine
~400.0 yards (365.8m)
Colorway - Roses Are Red
Purchased at Etsy Trunk Sale


The middle size pattern has errors in it. It should be 198 sts cast on. There are additional changes as well.

I was super impressed. I wrote to let the publisher know about the error. Within a day, the editor wrote me back with all the corrections! It was very cool.

They have posted the corrections for the middle size:
http://www.storey.com/correct_book.php?isbn=9781580176880

This was my third attempt at the pattern. The first two were in self striping yarns. I thought they would look good after looking at some finished projects. But they didn’t work at all.

I think this colorway is okay. It is still busy, but the colors relate well and I think it looks good.

I confess that there were times I thought I would never finish it. If it wasn’t that my baby will be here soon, I might never have completed it. The skirt was kinda tedious. But I did a bunch in the car which helped.


Going Home Mary Janes


Cast On & Completed:
August 1, 2009



Generated by Flickr Album Maker



Pattern:
Mary Jane Booties by Lucie Sinkler
http://home.howstuffworks.com/free-baby-bootie-knitting-patterns2.htm

Made for:
Kiddle

Needles:
US 3 / 3.25 mm

Yarn:
Knit Picks Shine Sport
~0.5 skeins = 55.0 yards
Colorway - Cherry
Purchased at Knit Picks
http://www.knitpicks.com


Figured these would be cute to go with the February sweater. It is to match my baby to come’s going home outfit.

They were a super fast knit and very easy. They look adorable. They only took a few hours to knit. Hope they fit well.

Suspect I will make others given the simplicity and the look of them. Very cute.

3 1/2” long
1 1/2-1 1/34” wide

I should have taken the pics *before* they got washed as they looked better. But they will look great on her feet!

I suspect I will make more of these. They were so quick and cute it is hard not to.

No comments: