Friday, January 4, 2008

Pattern Thoughts and Suggestions


I am trying to figure out what to do with the Lisa Souza hand dyed superwash wool I have. I have knit a swatch but can't seem to determine what pattern to do. I am leaning towards the doing something with the Wild Things color way first:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=wild%20things&w=11372712%40N04

It is some really pretty dark colors. Purples, blues and some lighter greens. All very pretty.

I also have the Mars Quakes colorwar:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=11372712%40N04&q=mars+quake&m=text

I like both a great deal. They are beautiful yarns. But I realized that I have already knit two pairs with reds and blacks. So I figure it is time for another color. *chuckle* (Mind you, I wear the ones I have all the time. I have my Ravishing socks on today that are the cotton/lycra self-patterning yarn I dyed.)

I am having a hard time finding sock patterns that don't have lacey bits!

There is a knit along this month in one of the Ravelry groups for Cookie A. patterns - http://www.cookiea.com . I am really thinking about trying one of her patterns. She has some amazing ones.

I keep looking at the Monkey pattern from Knitty:

http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter06/PATTmonkey.html

Have anyone tried this one?

I also like her Pomatomus pattern:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTpomatomus.html

I think that would be next to impossible with the 2 socks on 2 circs method I love so much. And I fear second sock syndrome a lot.

I am seriously tempted by her Twinkle Toes pattern that is from a Knitty Gritty episode:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_5419748,00.html

The beauty of that one is that it is toe up so I can use all the yarn and not have a lot left over. I am still *terrible* about judging when I need to start the foot when I am doing top down. With Jennifer's top down Xmas socks, I had 1/3rd of the yarn left because I started the heel too soon.

I admit, I am also still sorely tempted to do a Cat Bordhi pattern from the New Pathways book. there are some great patterns. There just aren't any I can clearly see in the yarn I have. Or the gauge I am getting. So it is hard. Suppose I should go home and knit yet more swatch. I was knitting on 2s, but it seems that it might be better on 1s. Not sure.

Though I was confused to discover that my 1s and 2s are actually 1 1/2s and 2 1/2s according to what I read. I thought I was getting 1s & 2s. But Knitpicks list 2 of each size. So I picked up the 2s to match the bamboo needles I got for Paul's socks before switching over to 2 socks on 2 circs for his socks. They are labeled size 2 - 2.75 mm. So that is what I got. *shrug*


Decisions decisions. So many patterns. So little time. *grin*

Either way, time to get home. Paul is probably beginning to wonder where I am and I haven't even left the office yet. It has been one of those days. Way too long!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I've knit a pair of Monkey's and they are really quick and fun. I have them on my ravelry page somewhere. I have really wanted to make some Pomatomas ones but I think I'll probably knit the Herdera's from Knitty first. I have some yarn for them that I bought just for those...but haven't knit them yet. All of Cookie A's are winners I think. Good luck!

Michele / akkasha said...

I love the Monkeys you did! They look terrific. I see you also did the fitted arch you shared with me. I might have to try it on this pattern. It looks like it will fit well.

My feet are a size 9, but I checked raverly and found other size 9s where they fit fine. So I am gonna go with it. Figure I could increase on the bottom of the foot if need. *crosses fingers*

I am thinking they may be the winner.